Wednesday 8 August 2012

MIDWEEK INSPIRATION


Live the Life You Have Always Dreamed Of!
  - Chris Widener 
    This means that we can choose to have  a different life the same way we have chosen to have the life we currently live. It makes sense doesn't it? We all made conscious decisions to do certain   things that got us right where we are today. Most of us went to college and chose a major, and then chose a career, then chose a company. We chose! Now, if you don't like your life, make a choice to change it! "But Chris, you just don't understand! I can't just quit my job!" 

Let's start there. Yes you can. The first mistake most people make is in the language they use that betrays a mindset that will keep them right where they are - in a place they don't want to be. Here is the key:

Don't mistake "I can't" when you mean, "I won't."

Let's take another look: "I won't just quit my job because I am scared I will starve."

"I won't just quit my job because I don't want to go back to college and spend two years of my life preparing for a new career."

"I won't just quit my job because I don't want to try my new career while I deliver pizza's at night to support myself."

"I won't just quit my job because I am afraid I'll look like a stupid failure."

You get the point. The idea is that we CAN do anything we choose to. We really mean that we can't because we won't. Once we get beyond this, we can really move toward our dream and live the life we always wanted to!

With that in mind, let's take a look at a few steps for pursuing your dream and living your new life:

Reconnect with your dream. Set aside some time to let yourself dream. What have you placed on the backburner in order to live the status quo? Settle on one or two dreams that you can and will pursue. Don't come up with too many. That will only deter you further.

Decide that you will do it. This may seem elementary but many people never decide and commit fully to their dream. They simply keep "thinking" about it.

Tell others that you are going to do it. This puts you on the record as to what you are dreaming about. It makes you accountable. It will help you do it if for no other reason than to avoid embarrassment!

Develop a step-by-step plan. This is absolutely essential. You must sit down and write out a few things:



  1. A timeline. How long will it take to the end?
  2. Action steps. Point-by-point what you will do and when you will do them.
  3. Resources you will need to draw from. What will it take? Who will need to be involved for help or advice?
  4. An evaluation tool. You need to evaluate from time to time whether you are progressing or not.
  5. A celebration. Yep, when you are done you should already have planned what you will do to celebrate. Make it big!
You CAN live any life that you choose. You CAN have the life you have always wanted. But you must decide that you will have it and then get on with pursuing it! There is still time. Go for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment