Saturday 12 May 2012

WEEKEND WISDOM


Advice on Overcoming Fear

            By Zig Ziglar

Fear has been correctly identified with the acrostic False
Evidence 
Appearing 
Real. 
 The truth is that if we think
something is to be feared, that perception becomes the cruelest form of reality.


A second-grade boy was overheard saying, "It's easy to be
brave when you’re not scared." By the same token, it's easy
to talk about how to overcome fear when you have little to
be afraid of. Fear is certainly real for most people and all
of us face a fear of something -- poverty, divorce,
rejection, death, failure, speaking in public, being laughed
at, etc.

How do we overcome fear?  First we must learn to examine our
fears.  Example: Giving a speech, which is the number one
fear in our country, according to Reader's Digest. (It's
also a tremendous confidence-builder.) If that's your fear,
ask yourself a few questions. "Why am I afraid to make a
speech? Is it because I'm afraid of being rejected? Then why
do I think I'll be rejected? 

Do I believe what I'm about to say? Is my speech worth
giving? Am I proud of the comments I'm about to make?" As
you ask yourself these questions, the fear will begin to
subside. It subsides because you have explored your
subconscious mind with your questions and flushed out some
of your fears.

My research indicates that only three people have died while
making a speech. Since twelve billion people have lived and
only three of them died making a speech, I’d say it's a
fairly safe thing to do.

If you’re a little nervous, consider this: You could lead a
mule into a crowded room and he would be so calm that he
would almost go to sleep standing up. A thoroughbred in the
same situation would be as nervous as a cat.

If you’re a little nervous, just be grateful you’re a
thoroughbred -- not a mule. So face those inner feelings,
stand up and speak up with confidence. When you do, I'll see
you at the top!

1 comment: